Bangladesh’s Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner (RRRC) in Cox’s Bazar Mahbub Alam Talukder confirmed the development
All activities, except for emergency services, will be suspended at all 34 Rohingya camps of Cox’s Bazar from Wednesday in a bid to fight the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
The Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) till Tuesday confirmed a total of 39 coronavirus cases in the country.
Covid-19, a new strain of coronavirus, so far has killed more than 16,500 people in over 190 countries and territories including four from Bangladesh.
Bangladesh’s Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner (RRRC) in Cox’s Bazar Mahbub Alam Talukder confirmed the development to Dhaka Tribune on Tuesday.
He said: “All activities will be suspended in every camp from tomorrow [Wednesday]. However, emergency services with respect to food, health, and medicine will continue as usual.
“All gatherings, including religious ones, will be barred. We have also asked the camp residents to pray at home rather than in mosques.”
RRRC Talukder, the top government official on the ground in relation to the Rohingya crisis, also said: “Schools and madrasas will also remain closed.
“The message is very clear; always stay at home for the security of yourself and others.”
RRRC Talukder also said that apart from those involved with emergency services, no one would be allowed to go out of the camps and come in.
“We have also decided not to allow any new foreigner to enter the camp. This will not be applicable to those who had been working here before the beginning of the crisis,” he added.