The family of one of the victims has started a case over Friday’s attack on a madrasa inside a Rohingya camp in Cox’s Bazar that left six people killed.
The father of slain Azizul Haque named 25 people in the case filed with the Ukhiya police station late on Saturday, said Superintendent (SP) Shihab Kaiser, chief of the Ukhiya-based unit of the Armed Police Battalion (APBn).
“Another 200 to 250 unidentified people have been accused of the fatal attack,” he told Dhaka Tribune.
Police said on Sunday that so far, 10 arrests have been made over the attack on Friday, weeks after the killing of prominent Rohingya leader Md Mohib Ullah.
Among those arrested, five were named in the case filed over the attack, SP Shihab told a media call.
“APBn had launched multiple raids to arrest the perpetrators. Five of the 10 arrested are suspected of taking part in the attack,” he said.
A separate case was started by the police under the Arms Act against Mujibur Rahman, one of the assailants who was nabbed immediately after the attack, said the senior police officer.
On Friday, a gang armed with sharp weapons and guns attacked the madrasa before dawn at Block H-52 of Camp 18 at Ukhiya’s Balukhali.
Four people were killed immediately in the attack while others succumbed to their injuries at a local hospital.
Soon after the attack, one of the assailants, who was later identified as Jasim, was held in possession of a locally-made gun and a sharp weapon. Police have, so far, detained eight people over the attack.
Witnesses said several teachers and students of the residential madrasa fled to a nearby mosque after the attack was launched. The assailants raided the mosque and killed two people.
Rohingyas said that a terrorist group wanted to set up a training centre at the madrasa.